While any language will be useful for some jobs or for some regions, French is the only foreign language that can be useful throughout the world as in the United States. French as a foreign language is the second most frequently taught language in the world after English. The International Organization of Francophonie has 51 members states and governments. Of these, 28 countries have French as an official language. French is the only language other than English spoken on five continents. French and English are the only two global languages.
When deciding on a foreign language for work or school, consider that French is the language that will give you the most choices later on in your studies or your career.
For instance French, along with English, is the official working language of these international institutions:
• the United Nations
• Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
• the International Labor Bureau
• the International Olympic Committee
• the 31-member Council of Europe
• the European Community
• the Universal PostalUnion
• the International Red Cross
•Union of International Association (UIA)
Also, French is the dominant working language at
• the European Court of Justice
• the European Tribunal of First Instance
• the European Court of Auditors in Luxembourg
• the Press Room at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium
Now you know, if you want all the tools for you or your child to succeed in this globalized world, learn French !
Still not convinced? Read this article from the NYT: ”While Bilinguals are Smarter” by Yudhijit Bhattacharjee